Tainted Glass

Sometimes, someone has to speak for the other side

Monday, May 31, 2004

Another Computer Worm

I got hit with another worm last night. My computer was moving slowly so I called up the task manager (ctrl-alt-delete) to check out the processes that were running. One process called FVProtect.exe was consuming over half of my memory resources. I checked out what it was... and what do you know, its a worm. This one is called Netsky-P, and the bastard thing had created over 5000 files on my computer.

All I can say is thank God for TrendMicro, the company that offers the free Housecall internet-based virus checker.

I need to get rid of Outlook Express. The worm propagates simply by showing up in the preview pane... nothing to click on. It doesn't do any actual damage, though it takes up a big chunk of memory and leaves you vunerable to a malicious hacker. I don't see why Microsoft can't simply patch the holes in their software, its not like the vunerabilities are a big secret. Nothing should run automatically from email... nothing. If I want a video to play, ask me first before it plays. If I want a picture to appear, ask me before it appears. Automatic is nice, but it has outlived its purpose.

Anyhow, I'll get back to real blogging once I fix this mess up.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

San Diego is having a Hot Rod Halloween on Sunday, October 30. If you love toronto auto show then you will want to be there! All kinds of toronto auto show will be in attendance. For more information go to toronto auto show
See Ya There!!

October 23, 2005 at 1:50 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like to read up on the latest info here womens fitness

October 24, 2005 at 6:26 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

best spyware - keep up the good work. I had a nice read on this site

April 18, 2006 at 6:25 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home